These are twenty of my top-rated songs from my iTunes player, set to shuffle. Can you guess the song title (and artist, if possible) from the first two lines? (If the first two lines contain the song title, I've skipped to the start of the next verse or chorus instead.) Curiously, and purely by coincidence, not one but two of the songs that came up are Buffy-related in some way...
My brother is banned from replying to this quiz because he knows my musical taste too well and would probably be able to identify all of them immediately. :-)
ETA: 14 gone, six to go. Here's a clue: of those groups or singers remaining, two are English, three are from Ireland and one is from the USA.
1. England 1936; the grip of the Sabbath day. In London town the only sound is a whisper in an alleyway.
2. And I know that time goes on and things must change and all things pass away. But it's a dark and scary world out there, and nothing's on TV.
3. I was twenty-one years when I wrote this song, I'm twenty-two now but I won't be for long.
4. Old Afrikaaner farmer on the terrace of his home, sits gently in his rocking chair and gazes at this land he owns.
5. They told me tales of love and glory, same old sad song, same old story.
6. I haven't ever really found a place that I call home; I never stick around quite long enough to make it.
7. Underneath your dream-lit eyes, shades of sleep have driven you away.
8. When I met you in the restaurant, you could tell I was no debutante.
9. All the things you said to me today changed my perspective in every way.
10. I remember it; Dublin in a rainstorm at night. Sitting in the long grass in the summer, keeping warm.
11. It's such a drag to want something sometime. One thing leads to another, I know.
12. Take me now, baby, here as I am. Hold me close, try and understand.
13. Something isn't right; I don't know how I know. Baby, it's despite your dog-and-pony show.
14. I kicked in his door at 5.00 am. "I've come for my bike", I told the repo man.
15. I touch the fire and it freezes me; I look into it and it's black.
16. Dressed like that you must be living in a different world, and your mother doesn't know why you can't look like all the other girls.
17. Oh, watching the people get lairy; it's not very pretty, I tell thee.
18. Tell me what's gone wrong. I tilt my head there under the faucet, when I turn it on - dry as paper.
19. Reborn and shivering, spat out on new terrain. Unsure, unconvincing.
20. Éist le mo chroí, go brónach a choích. Tá mé cailte gan tú's do bhean cheile.
(Yes I admit it, I looked up the lyrics of that last one to get the spelling correct. *g*)
ETA - songs already guessed are in italics.